Monday, January 18, 2010

Working with RANCID - Cisco Config Differ

For those of you with a need for backup of your network devices (such as routers and switches) and if you have absolutely no budget (but alot of time) then you may want to consider RANCID by Shrubbery Networks (available at http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/). It is an open-source product that runs on Linux or Solaris.

I installed RANCID on top of Fedora 11, and was able to finally get it to work. The major problem I had with this package is the absolutely AWFUL documentation provided... you really have to sift through the readme to get what the hell they are trying to say. Even some of the better install tutorials were either out of date or not well written for the admin who just wants a simple step-by-step guide.

So, I compiled a word doc with the steps I took to configure Rancid for my work environment. You may grab it at the link provided...

http://www.njcomputerguys.com/rancid.doc

Hopefully it will save some people from pulling their hair out.

UPDATE - administrator Steve Smith contributed his experience working
with Rancid on Fedora 15...

http://njcomputerguys.com/RancidConfigFedora15.doc

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cryptonite. Thanks for the .doc. One question. I noticed that rancid adds a LOT of unneccessary info at the top of my config, like directory listings and such. Do you know if there is a way to filter this out so it just gives me the actual config info?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am unsure of the question... if you mean the rancid.conf file... most of what is there is required for your specific environment. What I listed for my .conf file was mostly for my own corp. work environment, so yours may differ... if you give me an example I could say better...

    ReplyDelete